Friday 5 June 2009

Digging Deeper into Twitter


Well now, Twitter obviously has strong marketing potential in that you can contact an amazing number of people quickly .... though actually, unless you make a real effort, most of them are going to ignore you.

Also, you are going to be following people so that you know what is going on, but if you are going to follow them effectively, you need some helpful software to let you view incoming tweets in a close to coherent way.

I started out using TweetDeck: http://tweetdeck.com/beta/
This is great actually. You can have a column for replies, one for direct messages, one (or more) for groups of friends, one for search results, you can even get a word cloud for the most popular words being used on Twitter. It also lets you see what is happening on Facebook.

But .... it doesn't let you view multiple accounts (or didn't at the time of writing this). So, I switched to http://desktop.seesmic.com/, yes that is Seesmic desktop, however differently you want to spell it! This lets you do more or less everything Tweetdeck did but it also allows multiple account handling - great! By the way, if you hover over the avatar / logo of another tweeter, you can reply, direct message, retweet them etc. It took me days to notice that!

So now I have the technology to monitor incoming tweets and build twitter relationship - just need a bit of practice at interacting and getting the balance between interesting and potentially lucrative tweets right. If I keep tweeting links to my sites, followers will soon get bored. I am starting to learn a lot by following some interesting tweeters though...

2 comments:

  1. going to try Seesmic now. Have been on Tweetdeck only so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Simon - Oh I am glad the post was helpful. Maybe you would like to look at my bit.ly post too - I do think that will be extremely useful.

    ReplyDelete

/*Google Analytics