Monday 15 June 2009

Using AdSense

Well business in my bookselling world is a bit slow at the moment and I have had a bit of bother with Amazon (of which possibly more later ....) so I have been looking into Google Adsense.

To join this scheme, you register here or, if you have a 'Bogger' blog, just follow the Monetise link from your dashboard. You can start up a 'Blogger' blog from here.

You need a blog or website - I chose this 'Blogger' blog for mine - and you need to wait some days for Google to check it out before they accept you onto the scheme.

The idea is that you give a section of your blog over to Google Ads - you can chose where this goes and how big it is and whether you want text or text and images. Google chose adverts that fit in with the kind of content you are blogging (or putting on your website) and display them in this space. You are not allowed to click on these adverts yourself, but you attract commission per click for anyone else clicking on these adverts.

So....
Ideally
... you would have a really interesting blog
... you would attract lots of interested readers
... Google would provide ads matching the interests of your readers
... they would follow up the interesting ads
... you would get commission
... everybody happy :))))

Well, you can see my Google Ads area at the top of my right sidebar. Does the advert interest you? (It changes periodically so I don't know what you will see.) If so, please do go ahead and click it :)

There is also a Google search box set up on the right of this blog. You can use that like any normal Google search and you will get the normal Google results along with some sponsored links. Again, if you click on a sponsored link, I will get comission.

So far, not too many clicks have come my way, but I think that this is because I need to work harder on items 1 and 2, the really interesting blog with lots of interested readers ... (thinks: 'I'll go off and Tweet about this post to try to bring some in'). Lots to learn still - very grateful for any advice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

/*Google Analytics